3rd upper launch Bay

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
mikaya
Contributor
Contributor
Re: 3rd upper launch Bay

Post by mikaya » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:49 pm

We should build a launch somewhere out in the bay. Off the Berkeley pier maybe. Has anyone seriously ever investigated the possibilities?

kitet
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitet » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:16 pm

Seriously, we have to do something about the upper launch! There was water everywhere when I arrived this afternoon. I checked the tide numbers and yes there are some big tides going on, but still...

Where did you place the 100 sand bags? Do we need to place more? 200? 300?

I'm willing to help. We have to do something or we will soon be looking for another place to kite.
3rd Ave erosion.jpg
3rd Ave erosion.jpg (20.41KiB)Viewed 2758 times

robotvox
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by robotvox » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:04 am

...back to seriousness for a moment, this is a real issue and I definitely am willing to do whatever I can to keep my launch-spot from eroding. That said, I'm not sure what can be done, exactly. Would it be legal, say, to rent an earth mover (the regular, mini ones) and build a sandbar or something? Assuming that the land belongs to the county or something like that, I imagine there must be some laws and restrictions about terra-forming on public lands. Anybody know anything about this?

a3rd a3rd a3rd
Contributor
Contributor

Post by a3rd a3rd a3rd » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:31 am

How about a floating breakwater? Not sure it this would work here, but it might. These things are put up to stop erosion from persistent waves. Unsure of the cost or legalities. It would probably eliminate the ability to launch and land in that direction - but at least it might be a way to save the whole launch if it is really going away.

http://www.whisprwave.com/floating.htm or search on "wake attenuation"

(I've also heard that some people camouflage these things by putting sliders on them...)
Last edited by a3rd a3rd a3rd on Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

mikaya
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mikaya » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:32 am

Robotvox, I agree with you, it is a serious subject, and I am also willing to help. Is there a Bay Area Association of Kiters who address these kinds of issues? Or is it mostly done by the nearest kiteboarding shop? I don't mind, but I want it known that I am willing to help. It obviously needs a group of people to get together to address it.

baypirate
Regular
Regular

Post by baypirate » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:38 am

mikaya wrote:We should build a launch somewhere out in the bay. Off the Berkeley pier maybe. Has anyone seriously ever investigated the possibilities?
actually, a floating platform would probably do (in fact I'd think you only need shallow water to safely launch anywhere, best with an assistant, worst case - drift-launch). You can imagine the floater anchored a safe distance from the inhospitable but windy land, and some... canoe ferry to go back and forth to the platform.

unfortunately, even day-dreaming has its limits, and the biggest problem with an "always windy" place like TI is not only the gnarly land surrounding, but also the fact that there are no prospects of self-rescue, if you (/something) screw(s) up, you'll need a (motorized) pick-up...

baypirate
Regular
Regular

Post by baypirate » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:44 am

robotvox wrote:...back to seriousness for a moment, this is a real issue and I definitely am willing to do whatever I can to keep my launch-spot from eroding. That said, I'm not sure what can be done, exactly. Would it be legal, say, to rent an earth mover (the regular, mini ones) and build a sandbar or something? Assuming that the land belongs to the county or something like that, I imagine there must be some laws and restrictions about terra-forming on public lands. Anybody know anything about this?
I figure the city has interest in stopping erosion, plus these are "feel good do good" projects. Danger is be careful what you wish for. You put this in motion, you may end up with a 3 year worksite (=no kiting), and then some loud mud lover finds some mouse that lives there and gets the guilty-ridden city to cordon it off completely to humans etc.

jbirdmarin
Regular
Regular

Post by jbirdmarin » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:16 am

There are very strict permits and policies about changing, in any way, the bay. If you are serious about it, you'd first need to contact the land owner, then check out BCDC as a starting place http://www.bcdc.ca.gov/. I tend to agree with BayPirate in the 'careful what you wish for' dept.

jrg
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by jrg » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:48 pm

I heard it took two years to get a permit to clear the upper launch area (and the guy was a contractor who knew the system). I agree with Bay and Bird, if we get the city involved it could get ugly.

I think the erosion could be caused by:

- clearing the riprap at the launch area (had to do this, someone would have been killed)
- clearing some rocks from the upwind cove (unlikely because those rocks are under 6 ft of water at high tide and our sand bag experiment failed)
- reduced reeds (invasive species spraying)
- higher water level
- bad luck (high tides coupled with strong NNW winds)

I think the easiest thing to try next is to get a bunch of people and build up the berm around the launch area. We would need to find good place to get the fill and a bunch of wheel barrels. Im sure it will erode some, but maybe it will slow things down. Sand bags are another option, but we would need alot of them (UV resistant sand bags are expensive), subject to vandalism, and the powers might notice them.

kitet
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitet » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:16 pm

our sand bag experiment failed
Where exactly did you place the sand bags last year?
I think the easiest thing to try next is to get a bunch of people and build up the berm around the launch area. We would need to find good place to get the fill and a bunch of wheel barrels. Im sure it will erode some, but maybe it will slow things down. Sand bags are another option, but we would need alot of them (UV resistant sand bags are expensive), subject to vandalism, and the powers might notice them.
Let's do it! Let's figure out what's the best option.

Do you know the cost of the sand bags?
Logistically, what would it take to go with the wheel barrel option? (sorry, but I have no idea where I would start)