3rd upper launch Bay

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
robotvox
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Re: 3rd upper launch Bay

Post by robotvox » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:37 am

The slow method: from now on, every time you use the upper launch, everybody bring at least one wheelbarrow of sand from home!

mikaya
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mikaya » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:24 am

I have had some experience dealing with erosion. We should use stones and rocks, no smaller than the size you can carry in one hand. Bigger would be better. Lots of them. The stones won't wash away so easily, and the water coming in will deposit debris that will fill the gaps between the stones over time, provided it doesn't wash OVER them on a regular basis. (The stones further out, by the sticks, are too deep under the water).

I have no idea how to get such material. Much less transport the amounts we would need.

Jrg, who is the 'we' you are referring to?

jrg
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by jrg » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:42 am

We should use stones and rocks, no smaller than the size you can carry in one hand. Bigger would be better. Lots of them.
Please, no big rocks. Many people come in the thru the cove and it can be slippery. Adding big rocks to the mix could be bad. Can you imagine seeing someone sliding head first into a big rock that you put there?
I have no idea how to get such material. Much less transport the amounts we would need.
I was thinking of the finding a spot further up wind where removing fill that will not add to erosion that we care about. (Like the cove above the one thats getting bigger)
Jrg, who is the 'we' you are referring to?
Nothing official, just the folks who show up to work. (Jack, Clark, Adam, Fas and many others).
Where exactly did you place the sand bags last year?
They are inside the cove, near the rocks that have been flattened. We hoped that sand would build up behind them, but no luck.
Do you know the cost of the sand bags?
I think the cheap ones cost ~$.25/bag and last less than a year in the sun. The good ones (like the ones at the delta) cost dollars/bag and we would need a lot of bags (1000+?).

mikaya
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mikaya » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:47 am

Really, sand will wash away unless it is in bags. Are we seriously considering buying bags? It would be the best way, but would cost more than a thousand dollars, according to Jrg. We probably could raise that money from the kiters who use the area but it would take some organization. It seems to me we need some organization anyway - simply being able to coordinate the work requires at the very least an email list of those interested in helping, as well as regular posts to this forum to keep newcomers updated. I 'd offer to do that but I will not be in the area this winter, so i don't think it makes sense for me to do it. Anyone else?

Please, no big rocks. Many people come in the thru the cove and it can be slippery. Adding big rocks to the mix could be bad. Can you imagine seeing someone sliding head first into a big rock that you put there?
Jrg, of course you are right, the cove is horribly slippy, and it would indeed be a nightmare to watch someone slamming into a rock that you put there. However, a person could break a neck slamming into sandbags too. The berm has to be solid. Consider how high this berm is going to be - more than a foot? I'm not so sure. I think it should be long, wide, and sloping rather than high. Again, I am speaking from personal experience of erosion control.

mikaya
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mikaya » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:48 am

To clarify my last email - I am thinking the berm needs to be well inshore on the curve of the cove - NOT where the stones presently are, at the entrance to the cove. Trying to do anything there is asking far too much.

kitet
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitet » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:38 am

At the current pace, we are going to lose the upper launch soon if we don't contain the erosion somehow. This past Saturday, I was at the upper launch at high tide, and it was scary how small the area became. Can you imagine not having the upper launch at 3rd?

This topic keeps coming back every year. Are there any ideas on what we can do? Has the SFBA looked into it? I'm sure I am not the only one worried about this topic and also understand there is no easy solution, but we need to do something about it. Any suggestions?

jrg
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by jrg » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:15 am

Are there any ideas on what we can do? Has the SFBA looked into it?
Yes, the SFBA is aware of the problem (I went to a meeting ~2 years ago). The problem is getting the approvals and money to do it right. My short term suggestion is to buy a couple hundred of the big black sand bags (like those at sherman and coyote), use fill from next cove up, a build a break water. It may not stop the erosion, but it might help slow it down and maybe we would get lucky and land would build behind the sand bags.

mikaya
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mikaya » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:18 am

I will happily contribute money to this - please make sure you post a request for money here, and where to send a check since I may not be in the area.

jrg
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by jrg » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:49 am

I will happily contribute money to this - please make sure you post a request for money here, and where to send a check since I may not be in the area.
We need someone to step up and lead this effort. I mostly ride the coast these days and don't feel like leading this (I have helped/led with many projects at 3rd in the past - concrete ramp, cleared area in the cove, shower, channel marker sensor before iWindsurf ). There may be some money for this in the Jay fund.

jwest21
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by jwest21 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:36 pm

This is very sad news. I better get out there and progress my skills quick-style so I'm not stuck carting myself to the eastbay all the time. I'm not a lot of help financially but I'm sure I could throw a little down if there's a smart plan ready for action. I can move sandbags all day though, and bring a cooler of beer.

What about some type of grass or ground vines that grow well in sand? Here's a list that may be helpful.

http://www.rockledgegardens.com/pdf/sal ... plants.pdf

Perhaps Bermudagrass would do the trick.
Sold all my gear; ebbs and flows; see you next season.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein