Where in the world to learn?

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
raztec
Contributor
Contributor
Where in the world to learn?

Post by raztec » Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:51 pm

Hi

I'm an outright beginner and have set aside 3 weeks this January to learn how to kite board.

Can anyone recommend a place in the world where one has reliable but relatively benign conditions for a beginner in January? Also, would like good budget accommodation. I've heard of Dominican Republic or Vietnam but am not sure if they have enough flat water.

Ideally, I'd like somewhere like Isla Blanca just north of Cancun, but I think the one kite shop there (Ikarus) has shut down and moved south to Playa del Carmen.

Thanks a bunch,
Raz

mighty
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Where in the world to learn?

Post by mighty » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:47 pm

I loved Costa Rica and Vietnam that time of year - super beginner friendly setups and cheap kite boys to walk your kite back up the bays. Definitely go somewhere where you can reasonably hire people to deal with you as you're learning - will make all the difference and let you maximize time on the water.

raztec
Contributor
Contributor

Post by raztec » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:01 pm

mighty wrote:I loved Costa Rica and Vietnam that time of year - super beginner friendly setups and cheap kite boys to walk your kite back up the bays. Definitely go somewhere where you can reasonably hire people to deal with you as you're learning - will make all the difference and let you maximize time on the water.
Which sites in Costa Rica or Vietnam would you recommend?

raztec
Contributor
Contributor

Post by raztec » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:09 am

Have finally narrowed it down to Baja or Costa Rica. Has anyone been to either place and can recommend which is better for a beginner in January?

Baja kite board baja with Dante at http://www.kiteboardingbajaschool.com/ and staying at Captain Nemo's Landing in Los Barriles http://www.captainnemoslanding.com/

Costa Rica: http://www.kiteboardingcostarica.com/

mighty
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mighty » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:30 am

raztec wrote:Which sites in Costa Rica or Vietnam would you recommend?
Bahia Salinas in Costa Rica and Mui Ne in Vietnam. Lots of good kiting contacts and support in both those places.

dz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by dz » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:26 pm

Costa Rica, Bahia de Salinas, could be very windy this January, due to a super El Nino.
Check Windguru and add the Blue Dream modification (adds 70% to the forecast) and you get an idea of the windspeed in the bay, for example it looks like this weekend it will be averaging in the 30's and gusting over 40knots. Generally it doesn't get that windy until January. Nothing is certain, but it looks like it's going to be seriously nuking this year, as it did last year.

If you check the Windguru archive from last year, January, 2014
you will see it's mostly purple, mostly 30's and some 40's.
That's probably too windy for learning, and you might spend a lot of time waiting for things to calm down.

Again, there's no certainty of this, but maybe factor this into your decision.
Last edited by dz on Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Free your mind and your azz will follow. GC

Kyle
Regular
Regular

Post by Kyle » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:05 am

Dante is a great instructor. he got my wife staying upwind after a couple years. he has a few other instructors now but try to get him if you can:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BryanMichaelMeyer
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by BryanMichaelMeyer » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:44 pm

Northern Brazil has perfect lagoons for learning and warm water.