Beginner Kites Sizes and Board for Sherman

This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid.
Forum rules
This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid. Please provide proper answers (no sarcasm/joke replies, etc.) as we'd like to avoid any confusion or misinformation.
AD72
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Re: Beginner Kites Sizes and Board for Sherman

Post by AD72 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:23 am

As mentioned above the mako is a good board to learn on, no spray in the face and smooth through the chop. I kited up to Kitopia and Collinsville with mine multiple times so no issues going up wind. I still have a 150x34 classic down in Baja. You cant lose with that 2010 for $200. I'll buy it if you don't want to.

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:57 pm

$200 for a used board sounds good.
Like others have already said, get some use stuff for your first season. Kites and board.
You're gonna crash your kite repeatedly anyway, so might as well not spend too much money on the first one.
Then do as many demo as you can. Trying kites and boards back to back is the best way to notice differences.
As far as the board goes, don't spend more than $200, make sure it's wide, long and the flattest possible (less rocker will help you to go upwind).
Once you know how to go upwind, feel free to try different shapes and size and blow $800 on a board.

Size wise, you can read in my signature, 8, 10 and 12 meters.
With that, a twin tip with boots and a super flat surfboard I'm covering everything from 12kts at alameda to 30+ at Sherman. I weight 190lbs.
Hope this help.

Also, as far as "kite size for Sherman", I've seen that place blow 35 knots at 6am, down to 15knots for lunch and back to 30+ before sundown on a typical summer day.
10m is my usual late morning size over there. 8m when I get there early.
9 and 12m I think is a good start for you if you get there in the middle of the day most of the time, but like others mentioned, you'll definitely need a 7m at some point...
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

peter19ue
Contributor
Contributor

Post by peter19ue » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:03 pm

Thanks for the great advice. I'm going to purchase a used 9 and 12m kite that I can get a good deal on along with a cheap board since I'm sure the equipment is going to be trashed as I learn. I'm still going to windsurf when it's real windy so I don't need a small kite yet. I plan on taking more lessons and then do a whole bunch of assisted downwinders. Once I get proficient I'll start launching at Sherman and then I'll buy some new or slightly used gear once I figure out what I like and prefer. I really look forward to meeting some of you at Sherman. I'm normally at the place where the windsurfers launch but I look forward to making it down to the dark side next season

Take Care
Pete

Ps. Does Nat or Kiteopia pick you up on the boat after a downwinder so you don't have to land at the Access launch site.

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:49 pm

If you get a normal boat ride with Nat you're expected to be self sufficient enough to make it back to the access yourself. I believe he does offer "assisted downwinders" which might be somewhere between a on-your-own downwinder and a full on lesson. Check with Nat for the details.