New guy here looking to cross all my t's and dot all my i's

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
JoshP
Joey
Joey
New guy here looking to cross all my t's and dot all my i's

Post by JoshP » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:01 pm

Hey guys my name is Joshua and im just looking for some info to see if I'm missing anything before I go out on my own in a few weeks.

So far I have about 25 hours on my 3m trainer kite. I have studied everything I can about starts, the wind window, transitions, self rescues, and pretty much everything else.

I also have about 3 full (5 hour) days of wakeboarding on my kiteboard at a local wakeboard cable park here in Sacramento.

This coming Saturday I'm take a 5 hour lesson at alameda.

I have already bought all my gear with the assistance of a trainer.

My plan is to go out on my own this next coming Sunday, the day after my lesson. I'm trying to be as responsible as I can about this so as not to hurt myself or god forbid anyone else.

Is there anything else I need to do?

dz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: New guy here looking to cross all my t's and dot all my

Post by dz » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:59 am

Most important thing is to avoid endangering the regular beach goers. Always put the people's safety first.

When you are in the launch/rigging area, look up every now and then so that you do not have a surprised look on your face, (or have to duck last minute), as kites land and launch around you. (This alone could put you well above norm at Alameda.)

Try not to PO other kiters but inevitably they will you, so, study the rights of way so you can get into it and have an adrenalin fueled argument as you leave the beach.

for reference
http://www.progression.me/blog/kiteboar ... ht-of-way/

have fun
Free your mind and your azz will follow. GC

Thor29
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Thor29 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:01 am

You're on the right track. At Alameda proper etiquette says to pump up your kite outside the launch zone, then when you are suited up and ready to go, move the kite into the zone and lay out the lines. (Before that, drop your board on the beach a little bit downwind of the launch where it will be easy to pick up). Tell the person that you ask for a launch that you are a beginner and ask a second person to stand next to you to make sure you do it right.

Depending on the tide, either walk down the beach or wade out and around it, but get downwind of the broken water pipe before you start trying to ride. After that your are good to go. Just look out for other kiters and innocent bystanders like dz said. When you get towards the end of the beach, bring your kite down close to the water and hit the QR. Wrap up the lines, walk back up the beach, and do it all over again.

NorCalNomad
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by NorCalNomad » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:08 pm

Watch out for all the other kooks at alameda :P
Listing gear is bad, and you should feel bad.

Aloha
Old School
Old School

Post by Aloha » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:27 pm

Sounds good - see you out there! And don't forget your lower case j's XZSD

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:29 pm

NorCalNomad wrote:Watch out for all the other kooks at alameda :P
There are no such things in A-town
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

NorCalNomad
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by NorCalNomad » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:59 pm

le noun wrote:
What I was trying to say in a funny way is, with all the beginners that are at Alameda you really do need to watch out for what's happening around you. It's really easy for a kite to drop on top of you, roll towards you...etc. And it's a small beach...as I got to remember last weekend when I was there.
Listing gear is bad, and you should feel bad.

Nxnwsurfer
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Nxnwsurfer » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:22 am

After your lesson and when making it out on your own go talk to Max. Guy riding caution kites, big smile and white mustache. He is king of A-town and good friend to have out there when it comes to getting your bearings. Everybody learns eventually but he has little pointers along the way that help a ton and make it easier. He definitely helped me 5yrs ago when I started and was always greatful for the pointers. Plus he just makes you happy to be a kiter.

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:49 pm

NorCalNomad wrote:
le noun wrote:
What I was trying to say in a funny way is, with all the beginners that are at Alameda you really do need to watch out for what's happening around you. It's really easy for a kite to drop on top of you, roll towards you...etc. And it's a small beach...as I got to remember last weekend when I was there.
Haha! No worries. I was joking as well.
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

cleepa
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by cleepa » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:08 am

Nxnwsurfer wrote:After your lesson and when making it out on your own go talk to Max. Guy riding caution kites, big smile and white mustache. He is king of A-town and good friend to have out there when it comes to getting your bearings. Everybody learns eventually but he has little pointers along the way that help a ton and make it easier. He definitely helped me 5yrs ago when I started and was always greatful for the pointers. Plus he just makes you happy to be a kiter.
+1 for this. Max has helped so many kiters get into the sport, safely. He really loves to help. He's a little bit down from the shack, by Shellgate.